Wednesday, January 20

Pet Peeves

I'm starting to wonder if an added measure of tolerance should have been part of my New Year's resolutions this past round.  It seems that I can't really go more than a day or so without running into something else that irks me to the point that I wish I had ultimate authority to dole out punishments on the people around me.  I'm pretty sure that I'm not menstruating (since I'm a boy) so the only explanations are that either I am tired or people are consistently becoming more and more annoying in general.

For example, I hate it when people talk in quiet places.  Like study cubicles, for instance.  I also have an intense dislike of the average, haughty "I'm-going-to-take-over-the-world" attitude of BYU business students (especially MBA's and the like).  I especially dislike haughty business students that talk in quiet places, and I wish I could make them sit in the atrium of the Tanner building wearing dunce caps.

I've also learned that I dislike having roommates, in general.  If I'm going to have them, I might as well have only one and be married to them.  Everything about having roommates is inconvenient, except for the the fact that you can occasionally mooch food from them.  Unfortunately I am usually the one being mooched, so I don't even have that advantage.
One might argue that roommates provide stimulating conversation.  Experience has taught me that I don't really spend all that much time at home anyway. Honestly, I think I lose more by not having personal space and privacy than I gain by having a few extra chatterboxes around.  In addition to this, there seems to be an age old truism that states "where two or more man-beasts are assembled, there dirt and a general lack of cleanliness will be also."  Coming home to a sink full of reeking dishes, a bathroom filled with grime and a bedroom that stinks like last week's b.o. really puts a damper on life.

Another huge category for me is driving.  Pet peeves when it comes to driving are really not all that hard to maintain in the state of Utah, I've decided.  At least drivers in other regions are either consistently bad or horrible.  Utahans (or at least, drivers in Provo coming from all over the country and the world) are anything but consistent.  Some people will risk their first born children to get into the turning lane before you on eighth north.  Others might as well be dead, because at the rate they are moving they probably will never get where they are trying to go in this life.  Either way, it seems that there is a serious lack of education about how to use turn signals.
Not only the manner of driving, but the vehicles themselves often cause me consternation.  Unless a truck is being used for something to do with manual labor, I see it as a waste and wish I could have them all cleared from the roads and replaced with something that won't block my view of signs, traffic lights, and the horizon.  Unless there is a ladder, equipment, or some sort of rubble or something loaded in the back, I seem to catch myself instantly judging people driving trucks, SUVs and other such vehicles as selfish brats hogging up the road, pushing and shoving their way around...and blocking my view.  I honestly didn't sign up to come down to earth just to stare at the back of your F150.

Moving on, eating is one of those disgusting, nasty habits that I'm deathly afraid will still exist after this life.  It really slows you down when you don't do it, and in general feels like a huge waste of time and money.  Think about all the hundreds of dollars you've poured, chewed and slurped down your greedy throats already this year.  Now think about my poor ears having to listen to it all.  Even more than the inefficiency of having to eat, I detest hearing other people in the process of eating.  Part of my daily waking ritual is to have breakfast alone, before anyone else is awake.  If others are already awake, I skip breakfast.  There are almost no words for how much I do not enjoy listening to the various ways that people slurp, crunch, drink or otherwise consume breakfast cereals.

In short, I think I might actually be a bitter little man.  I hate to think about what I'll be like when I'm old and cranky, too...

4 comments:

Mark Tuttle said...

So eating those carrots next to you in class isn't a good idea. Good thing i drive a buick, not blocking your view, and im only half arrogant and only want to take over the part of the world that i want to visit. Just call me Peeves.

Mark Tuttle said...

But I won't be your pet...gross

Unknown said...

you just had to make that public, eh...

Bran said...

First off: Many, many doctors seem to believe that males have a "menstrual" cycle of sorts--where men do become much more irritable during certain hormone levels of their cycle. I learned all about it in my sex and gender class.

Second off: Roommates are tricky. Except of course when you lived with me because I did lots of dishes and cleaned the entire house every sunday that I taught priesthood. I would recommend that you go live by yourself somewhere. Getting married isn't really going to solve your problems because you will still have to deal with another peron and other people's dishes/mess. But in living by yourself you will realize that life sucks by yourself too and that you still have to do dishes, and then roommates won't bother you as much once you've learned to appreciate them.

Thirdly, I don't know what to do about Utahn's and turn signals. We might have to destroy the population and start over again on that one.

Fourthly, go watch Julie and Julia and learn to understand the joy that food brings into life. In fact, I derive most of my joy from food. You should try it. Maybe you would be happier.