Sunday, August 24

Koko Samoa

Well, I started a quest to learn how to prepare the favored drink within the Samoan culture, known as koko Samoa. I found a blurb about it on the web as follows:
[Samoans] are very fond of...koko.... [Cocoa] beans are taken out of the pods and dried in the sun on mats. They are then roasted on an iron sheet suspended over hot coals; they are constantly turned and when they appear dark brown and crisp, the husk is removed by hand and the beans are ground to a paste with a stone pestle in a tanoa [tu'i] koko (wooden mortar). The drink is prepared by mixing the paste with boiling water and sugar.... Keesing (1952) says that koko drink was probably prepared for the first time in the 1920’s. The method of preparation appears to be a Samoan invention. (Holmes, S. A Qualitative Study on Family Meals in Western Samoa with Special Reference to Child Nutrition. British Journal of Nutrition, 1954;8(3):223-39)
Using this as my primary source I tried to make the drink myself. Having never watched the preparation of the actual beans, and also because I am white, I knew that I had little chance of getting it right the first time. Happily, however, I was able to come up with something close to the real deal. It was much too watery, however, and I think it needed much more of the ground cocoa. It was quite tasty when mixed with a small amount of milk, at least. Maybe someday in the near future I will be able to brew a perfect pot of koko Samoa. Until then, though, I'll have to make do with the watery white boy attempt.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Where did you get cocoa beans from? (I realize that is not their technical name). Also, it looks like there is no apostrophe in "Pearl's Berth" in your heading.

Unknown said...

I got the cocoa beans from Harmon's, a store up in Orem. And I know there is a lack of apostrophe, it's just a weird thing the font I used does.