Thursday, November 27

Work

So I've learned that I only make an extra dollar an hour this evening for working on the Thanksgiving holiday.  This means that for four extra dollars, I am working during my vacation.

If I were an economist, I would probably start looking for all the other benefits that working Thanksgiving night would bring me, but at the moment I'm having trouble thinking of any.  I must be here for some reason at least.

It is making me wonder how much of the economics is based on decisions we can't change.  You see, if I had the choice now, I wouldn't be here at work.  In fact, if I had realized in time that Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, I wouldn't be here.  But I forgot about that detail, so I am here for my regular Thursday night shift...which also happens to be on a Thursday.

The fact of the matter is, I would get so much more utility out of beating Xister at fooseball again than an extra $4.  Money just doesn't do much for me these days; turns out you can't buy girlfriends, after all.

No comments: