Sunday, March 8

Birthday!!

Another year older and wiser, too. It has been a good birthday this year; the only bad thing that has really happened all day is my roommate used all the hot water this morning before church, so I got a cold shower. Other than that, I have had a great day.

As a birthday present of sorts to myself, I have installed the Windows 7 beta on my old laptop hard drive, and I am running it right now. It seems pretty nice so far, besides the fact that there aren't any good drivers for my graphics chipset, so things aren't quite as pretty as they could be. It has been fun for me to explore over the past few days, though. I learned that my hard drive cannot synchronize computers between the xp and vista kernels, though. Oh, well. I am thinking that I will use this Windows 7 beta for the rest of the semester and see how it works out for me.

Birthday season is always a bit interesting. I tend to not like being the center of attention, or at least, I usually end up feeling awkward when I have lots of attention. Most years I have tried to keep my birthday somewhat of a secret from people. This year has been a bit different, though--I didn't go out of my way to tell people it was my birthday, but I certainly didn't hide it either, and I mentioned it when opportunities arose. I think that maybe next year I'll keep it a secret again; a few minutes ago I was captured outside by half the ward singing happy birthday to me in choral fashion. Then they sang the star-spangled banner for some reason; don't ask me why. Maybe I am becoming an American icon or something.

I've had dinner made for me, a cake brought to me, and I've heard the happy birthday song at least half a dozen times. I think that's probably more than enough to tide me over for the next year.

Overall, though, everything is just fine. The sun came out this afternoon and warmed things up a bit, giving us all a touch more of spring fever. I see it as another well-timed present from nature. The only thing I seem to be lacking now is a good night's rest. I'll have to make sure to go to bed early tonight.