Tuesday, December 1

San Antonio International airport

...happens to be one of the airports that Google is sponsoring free public wifi access at this holiday season.  Coincidentally, I just happen to be sitting in said airport waiting for a flight to Dallas/Fort Worth international, where I'll catch a connecting flight back to Salt Lake by around 9 pm or so.  By then I will most likely be close to dead, if not at least incoherently mumbling to myself and running into things while trying to walk a straight line--it has certainly been a busy day.

Up at 5:45 am central time, ready to meet the charter bus to USAA campus (yes, they call it a campus, and for good reason) by 7:00.  At 7:30 we are there, dropping off luggage in a storage closet, checking out visitor id badges and being led around like lemmings through what feels like the financial services industry version of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.  First we eat a catered breakfast (provided by on-site cafeterias), then get a short speech from a long time employee.  Then we are interviewed and given a short tour of some "plaza level" facilities, including the 24 hour fitness center and a fully staffed wellness clinic where they had me pee in a cup to test me for drugs.  Then lunch, some mixing and mingling with company employees, and a tour of the mile long building, and they sent us on our way in the chartered bus to the airport.

So now here I am waiting...but wait, it seems that we'll be able to catch an earlier flight to DFW, so I can trade a layover here for a layover there.  Off I go!

No comments: